Porcelain crowns are a popular choice in restorative and cosmetic dentistry today. Used to rebuild damaged teeth, your dental crowns will protect your teeth from further damage and enhance the appearance of your smile. At Truedent Family Dentistry, in Miami, FL, Dr. Mileidis Pena Marro provides customized porcelain crown treatments, utilizing the latest and most innovative tools and procedures. Contact us today and make an appointment to learn more!
What Makes Porcelain Crowns a Better Choice?
Porcelain is the ideal choice for a dental crown for several reasons. Some of those reasons are because of their:
- Durability: Porcelain crowns are sturdy and strong. They can last up to a decade or longer. For many patients, porcelain crowns can last a lifetime without ever needing to be replaced.
- Biocompatibility: Porcelain is not only safe, but very compatible with the human body. Some people may experience allergic reactions with metal, but porcelain doesn’t have such an effect.
- Appearance: Porcelain crowns are an ideal alternative, due to their ability to blend with other teeth superbly. This dental crown alternative can match the exact color of your teeth. Unlike silver or gold crowns, porcelain crowns have a look and feel like that of real teeth.
- Fit: While metal crowns tend to be bigger and heavier on teeth, porcelain crowns are not. In fact, porcelain crowns are very light and provide more comfort during biting and eating, than a traditional metal crown.
- Cost: When it comes to value, porcelain crowns have a lot to offer. While they have a higher upfront cost compared to composite restorations, they last much longer.
Procedure for a Porcelain Crown
Placement of a dental crown can usually be completed in two office visits. Here are the general steps for receiving a porcelain crown:
- Consultation: The first step is a consultation. Dr. Marro will provide you with all of the information you need, ensuring your desired end result. This is time to ask all of the questions and share all of concerns you have.
- Digital images: The next step to receiving your porcelain crown is undergoing x-rays. These digital images will help Dr. Marro check the roots of the tooth receiving the crown. If decay is present, or there is the potential for infection, you may need a root canal.
- Preparation: Before placing the crown, the tooth must be prepared. Small amounts of enamel must be removed to make room for your new restoration and prepare it for bonding.
- Impressions: After the affected tooth has been prepared, Dr. Marro will take impressions. These are then sent to a dental lab, where a trained technician will begin the fabrication of your final porcelain crown.
- Temporary crown: While you wait for your final restoration, a temporary crown is placed over the tooth. This protects the tooth and prevents further damage.
- Permanent crown: The time has come for your permanent porcelain crown! Once it is ready, it will be placed on your tooth and examined for fit and appearance. Then after your approval, it will be affixed to the tooth permanently.
Contact Truedent Family Dentistry Today
To learn more about porcelain crown treatment, contact us today. Dr. Marro and the Truedent Family Dentistry team have the skill and dedication to create custom-made porcelain crowns that will offer years off longevity, appearance, and function. With a mission to change modern dentistry as we know it, Dr. Marro looks forward to seeing you, to discuss how to effectively and efficiently restore your smile. Connect with us online or contact us at (786) 847-0213 for an appointment.