A Background on Porcelain Veneers
Porcelain veneers do wonders to transform your smile. The veneers are attached by a cosmetic dentist to the front of the tooth, using a medical-grade ceramic. Veneers were originally used by screen stars in old Hollywood, to give an actor a picture-perfect smile. The first veneers used were not permanent and had to be reapplied whenever a patient wanted to enhance their smile. Today, the team at Truedent Family Dentistry uses the latest technology to permanently affix veneers, giving you a truly spectacular smile. The materials used are medically safe and are thin enough to be unnoticeable, giving a natural look that integrates seamlessly with existing teeth.
Who is a Candidate for Veneers?
Patients facing cosmetic dental needs often look to veneers as a way to resolve specific issues. Porcelain veneers are most often used in the following circumstances:
- To cover a chipped or cracked tooth
- To fill the gap between teeth
- To help with realignment or reshape a misshapen tooth
- To conceal a discolored tooth
- To repair worn down teeth
A patient requesting veneers to address these cosmetic issues should also have overall good dental health, without any decay or gum disease. If you are experiencing unhealthy gums or have other dental issues such as an infection, your dentist will first treat your medical needs and then assess for placement of porcelain veneers.
Types of Veneers
The decision to have veneers includes making a choice as to which type of veneer to use. The choices include:
- Porcelain veneers: these are made up of a durable ceramic that will match the color of your existing teeth, so the veneer blends in well to your smile.
- Lumineers: this is a specific brand of veneer and use of this product can cut down on the time it takes to get veneers placed. Many times the tooth preparation period with Lumineers is short, allowing patients to get the desired result faster. The material used is thin enough to be placed on the front surface of the tooth without drilling.
- Composite Resin: this choice of veneer is more economical than traditional porcelain veneers, Zirconia: made of porcelain, zirconia veneers are best for patients with the most severe need; meaning a patient with a significant amount of decay or damage to the teeth. The material is highly durable, providing a long-lasting choice.
Your dentist will go over the options with you, and also help you to prepare for the process. Preparation involves obtaining a proper diagnosis and treatment plan. This takes place at your initial visit, where your dentist will examine your teeth and advise you as to what comes next.
Preparing for Veneers
Aside from any medical needs to deal with decay or tooth damage, the teeth must be prepared for application of a veneer. This procedure includes removing enamel, making dental impressions, and creating a temporary veneer. The temporary veneer is used for a few weeks, while the permanent product is being manufactured. Once the veneers are completed, you will return to the dentist for placement. Final placement provides the following benefits:
- Natural appearance
- Changing the shape of the tooth, without the use of a crown
- Allow darker teeth to appear whiter
- Can be stain resistant
Schedule a Consultation Today
If you are considering veneers in Miami, call Truedent Family Dentistry to make an appointment. We discuss your options so you are comfortable with the decision you make, and will be satisfied with the end result. Contact us online anytime or call us at 786-310-7184.